[consulting] Drupal Certification (was: General consultant's vent)

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:21:45 UTC 2009

While I'm skeptic about certification programs myself, I also see
value in them.   In a way, a masters degree from MIT or a PhD from
Stanford is also a certification.  Granted, there are many examples of
bad certification programs, but there are also examples of valuable
certification programs; e.g. the CISCO certification program is very
thorough, hands-on and valued by the market.

All things considered, I think there is value in having Drupal
certification programs, especially if Drupal continues to grow.
Similarly, I think there is value in higher education.

My personal view is that the Drupal Association is _not_ the best body
to create "the" Drupal certification program.  It's my belief that we
are best served with allowing many organizations to create their own
Drupal certification programs, and have the market/buyer set their
value -- similar to how universities built reputation.  (In such a
world, it is very important that the certification programs are
labeled properly; i.e. "ACME Drupal certification" and not just
"Drupal certification", where ACME is the name of the company or
organization.)

Competition around Drupal certification programs would be great,
because it would likely help improve the quality of the different
Drupal certification programs.

Also, a certification program doesn't imply that your drupal.org user
profile becomes less valuable either.  Again, let the market/buyer set
the value of a drupal.org user profile versus a certification program
versus a resume versus a portfolio.

--
Dries Buytaert  ::  http://buytaert.net  ::  http://acquia.com