[consulting] Drupal Certification

Ayen Designs info at ayendesigns.com
Mon Aug 10 15:57:24 UTC 2009

Thinking quickly on the run (so excuse me if I miss something obvious),
it seems to me that I've more often seen numerous certifying
organizations with one central authority controlling an ultimate
licensing than controlling the certification. For example, the SAT's and
ACT's, while not textbook certification, are used to 'certify' the
college applicant in a way, and schools decide which they want to
accept, but degree requirements are watched by the accreditation board.
Likewise there are professions with many possible certification initials
after the person's name, and the market decides which they accept or
prefer, but if there is a license involved (electrician, occupational
therapist, etc.) there is a 'central authority.'

That all said, I still think the certification proves nothing, because
it's always going to be multiple choice, which means you're starting by
giving the developer the answer and just asking him to connect the dots
from the question. It doesn't prove in any way that you'll get good
code...more like the tip of the iceberg. I agree, though, that there
probably will be one or more eventually, and that the market will
determine the value-maybe differently at first until they discover that
high score doesn't equate necessarily to high quality, and that those of
use who don't want to participate will still find plenty of work.

--

Ayen Designs
388 Bullsboro Drive #105 · Newnan, Georgia 30263

Ayen Designs is a tradename of the computer services division of