[consulting] Returning to a solution

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Mon Aug 10 17:56:30 UTC 2009

Domenic Santangelo wrote:
> Bill Fitzgerald wrote:
>> Where has this need been demonstrated? I definitely do not have this
>> need.
>>

>> If we have free time, we would rather spend it on maintaining our
>> contrib modules, writing documentation, helping in [snip]
> You're talking from the perspective of yourself here, as a
> developer/contributor/coder.

Only partially. I would much rather work with a developer/shop who is
actively developing useful code, rather than one who is actively talking
about how they are sooo good at developing useful code.

We serve our clients more effectively by pointing out the difference.

> A skill that we as consultants must develop
> (whether we agree about certification or not) is the ability to
> empathize with our client base and predict their needs. If the *market*
> (our clients) demonstrates this need, it will have to be filled.

Or, we can articulate why this is an artificial and contrived measure
that only demonstrates proficiency at passing tests, as opposed to
solving real-world problems.

The notion that the "market" is an abstract thing working of its own
volition is a myth that needs to be punctured. People make up markets,
and people shape them. We can also help shape the terms within which we
work.

Helping clients spot the signs/indications of a good developer is a
valuable service.

> I would encourage those participating in the discussion to -- above all
> else -- try to see through your clients' eyes and predict what would
> make their jobs easier (which in turn, makes our jobs easier).

That is what we do, every day, and it's why the illusion of competence
conveyed by certification makes little sense.

I've used up my allotment of chattering time today. Time to get back to
actual work.

Cheers,

Bill