[consulting] Drupal workers' interests [was Drupal Certification]

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Mon Aug 10 19:37:39 UTC 2009

Sami,

Unfortunately, I have to disagree, because you've presented a straw man.

You are correct that the kind of people who contribute to Open Source
aren't the type of people who would take advantage of union protection
to slack off. This is because contributing to Open Source shows
character & personality traits that would oppose this.

However, the people who contribute back to Drupal  or Open Source in
general is a subset of those who use it / develop with it. I read a
statistic somewhere that only 30% - 40% of Drupal developers actually
contribute back to Drupal in any way. I can't source it at the moment,
but feel free to take a random number. I am sure we can all agree that
the number of those who contribute back is somewhat lower than those
that develop in Drupal.

Can you honestly say that the percentage of Drupal developers who would
be covered by the theoretical union, but *don't* feel compelled to
contribute back to the project can also be trusted not to abuse the system?

That's where this Facebook-surfing, game playing developer lies - he
wouldn't make it in a non-union shop, and he certainly wouldn't ever
contribute to Drupal, but he would be protected just the same.

Also, the system isn't self correcting. I've know of several businesses
run into the ground because of workers they couldn't get rid of. One
example is a local electrical shop, owned by a journeyman electrician
and two apprentices. The apprentices were approached by the union, and
made the decision to unionise.

It worked fine for a while. Because the owner had been paying wages
competitive with the union shops, not much changed. However, about a
year after this, an apprentice quit, and the union filled his job with
the most senior electrician's apprentice in the local chapter that
needed a job.

This guy was a total waste of space. It would take him several days to
do what was done in hours by the other workers.

The guy dragged the business down. Eventually, the owner declared
bankruptcy. It cost him a fair amount of money and a credit rating. The
business was dissolved, and a new one was opened as a non-union shop.

A large business can survive a fair number of useless people on staff. A
small one often can't survive one. As a small business owner who someday
hopes to hire some developers to work for me, the thought that I could
potentially get stuck with a dud I can't drop scares me.

Brian