[consulting] Returning to a solution

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Mon Aug 10 21:02:51 UTC 2009

Sami Khan wrote:
> If it is true that your statement is true, then the United
> States is pretty much screwed as there is no way that the government or
> anyone else can support that many greedy people.

Smith's Invisible Hand concept addresses this point: it is because the
self-interest of the seller and the self-interest of the buyer intersect
that a market exists. Of course more generally, Smith posited that this
self-interest unintentionally benefits society as a whole ("an actor is
led by an Invisible Hand to promote an end which was no part of his
intention").

I can anecdotally relate to this point -- do we not encourage our
clients to contribute work back to the community ("society", as it were)?

-D