[consulting] Guilds vs. Unions

Steven Scotten steves at splicer.com
Mon Aug 10 21:51:55 UTC 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Alfredo Reyes wrote:

> There is no "trend towards the eradication of intellectual property
> law" - just the opposite, they are hardening the laws in response to
> digital technology, and under the pressure from corporate owners of
> IP to increase copyright durations.

I admit that the recent trend is a reaction to excessive copyright
terms, but between the growing popularity of the well-named Pirate
Party and all the proposed Orphan Works legislation (which requires
that you simply not bother to try to contact the owner in order to be
free of any usage restrictions), the legs are being sawed out from
under the protection that exists today.

I'm all for reducing limits on copyright (25-40 years regardless of
the life of the author sounds reasonable to me), but wholeheartedly
against the "just scrap it" mentality reformers seem to have.