[consulting] Drupal Certification

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Tue Aug 11 23:39:29 UTC 2009

No certification ever made is ever going to do anything other than set a
standard.  That is all it can do, imo. The difference being we assume
someone hiring a nurse at least knows what the nursing standard is.  We
can't make the same assumption about a project manager hiring a developer.

Well gee, I'm joe blow and I've just been tasked with finding a drupal
developer for company X's website.  Where do I start?  What do I even
put in a classifieds ad to find such a person?  "Help wanted: Must be
experienced in Drupal.  Must have strong work ethic. and self
management"  yeah, that sounds good... ...

Maybe I should put that in {}

One might suggest that Joe B.  ought to know more about websites if he
is going to accomplish this task, but again, that is the entire point.
Unless I am missing something vast, certification is about setting a
baseline standard of what someone should know in order to call
themselves a developer SO THAT people who aren't developers can check
"knows basic vocabulary" off on their interview list without needing to
fret over the fact that they themselves Do Not know basic (geek)
vocabulary.  As Evan has said, it cannot ensure that who you are hiring
is competent in any other of the infinite skillsets that make a good
worker, communicator, or minion.

-S