[consulting] Drupal Skills Inventory

Matt Chapman Matt at NinjitsuWeb.com
Mon Aug 24 16:58:18 UTC 2009

I prefer to look to people with basic web development skills, and train
them in Drupal, rather than seeking out Drupal gurus form the start, so
my approach may be less relevant to others, but here it is.

To start, I ask them to identify their first and second specialty from
among:

Graphic Design / Branding
Project Management
Sales & Marketing
Web Design / xHTML+CSS
PHP Application Development
Javascript UI Development
Drupal Themeing
Drupal Module Development
Drupal Site Building / Implementation
CiviCRM Implementation
Training & Technical Support
Wordpress Development
Flash Application Development
Server Administration

I'll also ask them which of these is their mortal enemy, and which
they'd most like to improve.

Then I ask them to give one of these answers:

What's That?
I know what it is.
I've used it before.
I use it daily.
I can make it do backflips.

...for each item on this list:

Drupal
jQuery
CSS
PHP
SQL
xHTML
Flex
OpenLaszlo
api.drupal.org
BASH
CCK Module
CiviCRM
Drush
hook_nodeapi()
hook_form_alter()
hook_theme()
Ubercart
Views 2 module
Database-driven Flash
GIMP
Amazon EC2
Bazaar VCS
CVS
SVN

It's not a very scientific approach, but it gives me a quick run down of
how they views themselves in relation to the tools I work with, or
skills I'd like to add to my team.

HTH,

Matt