[consulting] CDN & hosting location impact

Michael Goldsmith ixlr8 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 03:35:10 UTC 2009

CDN's don't work like that.  You host everything on your server.  Your CDN
picks up a copy of your static files such as images, media, even CSS and JS
files, and servers it from the CDN server that is closest to the client.
Basically what you're serving is your source code (although you might even
be able to toss that up on your CDN- I'd have to check on that), and
anything that comes from your database.  That, generally, is a lot lighter
than serving up your media and takes up a lot less time.  Now what this
DOESN'T mean, is that you can just use a CDN and you don't need any sort of
hosting.  You still need your db server, and you still need your content
hosted somewhere so that the CDN servers can get new copies of files.  The
load on the servers will be considerable less, but it will still be there,
especially if you have a site of any scale.  Add memcache too, and you've
got a set up that sings, but that's an entirely different conversation.

So to answer your question: I have no idea what kind of performance you're
going to get.  It depends on what you're serving, the server you put it on,
your CDN, if any, the network connection tier of the server, and the client
ISP, as well as a dozen other things I'm leaving out.

If you have a multinational site, CDNs will help.  I can't give you accurate
performance stats though.  Anyone who does, is trying to sell you something.
There are a million different things that affect site performance.  If you
believe what that person is telling you, without seeing your finished site,
is that you'll get a 300% performance increase, then for just $499, I'll
guarantee to get your website to the #1 spot in a Google search using top
secret SEO tactics!

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,

Michael Goldsmith
(732) 619-6865 - mobile
ixlr8 at comcast.net - email
http://www.platypustheory.com - website