[consulting] Do you get a lot of D5 to D6 porting projects?

Roshan Shah roshan.shah at bpocanada.com
Mon Jun 15 10:32:32 UTC 2009

We have done 6 upgrade projects and had failed on 1 project (3 times)

3 from 4.7 to 5.x ( Very large sites)
3 rewritten from 4.7 to 6.x (small/medium sites)
We tried to upgrade 1 project from 4.7 to 5.x. We did this thrice but
haven't been successful. We are now rebuilding the site entirely in Drupal 6
with lot more enhancements/new features.

Whenever we do a major upgrade, one of the biggest challenges we have is to
ensure that URL structure is retained so that sites don't lose their traffic
after upgrade.  There always has been a dual challenge to get the client the
benefits of new modules/features and a better URL structure, breadcrumb, etc
and at the same time preserving the old ones.

We get at least 3 to 4 leads every month from clients looking to upgrade
their Drupal sites. Most of them think its a 3 day job (maybe there is a
wrong marketing message out there where people think its soooo easy to
upgrade Drupal) and we just ignore such requests.

There is so much involved in upgrade project. We at least do 2 dry runs
before going live!

Roshan
--
Gloscon Solutions Inc - http://www.gloscon.com/portfolio