[consulting] oDesk

Matt Chapman Matt at NinjitsuWeb.com
Tue May 5 07:58:50 UTC 2009

Good points, Bill, but why should I trust someone half a globe away,
with whom I've never worked with before?

Also, I am definitely arguing this from the buyers side, because that
position seemed absent in the discussion. As a seller, I would also take
your position, and probably wouldn't be eager to accept a client who
insisted on my using oDesk either; but then, I'm not on oDesk as a seller.

Again, the question is, do you want to be a coder or a consultant? If
you just want to write code for a living, you're probably going to have
to put up with intrusiveness like oDesk, until everyone knows you're as
good as you claim to be because you wrote Views or DrupalEd or
something. ;-)

Put another way, trust is a fundamental part of the equation when you're
hiring a consultant. But when you're hiring a coder, I don't need to
trust you; I need to know that you know where to put the commas and the
semi-colons, and that you'll write a proper module instead of sending me
a patch for index.php .

I think it was kind of intrusive that my boss expected me to show up at
9am and wear pants when I worked in the corporate world. But that's what
I had to do to get my paycheck. I had to save up a few paychecks before
I could fire my boss and win the privilege of working in my underwear
without anyone intruding.

Oh, but I forgot, contractors are different from employees. It's OK for
them to over-inflate their experience and bill me for time spent
learning what they said they already knew how to do....

Best,

Matt