[consulting] Established clients seeking technical training.

Christian Pearce christian at pearcec.com
Tue Nov 17 19:00:07 UTC 2009

I have trained people on the basics and more.  As a result they want to get
more technical, coming to me to learn how to do more, or handing over more
technical jobs to me because it goes past their capacity or comfort zone.
if fact they will probably go else where if you don't.  I had won a client
that wanted to be trained on the very fact I was so open with what I did and
how I did it.

It parallels a similar notion that in order to safe in a company you need to
have knowledge that no one else posses so you can't be fired.  This simply
isn't true, if you are doing your job well you are replaceable, to the point
there you can grow beyond to more technical work.

Lastly don't fall trap to the idea that there is a fixed pie that someone is
stealing from you if they are now doing the same work as you. Focus on
providing value.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Chris Miller <
chris at trailheadinteractive.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a friend employed by an established and profitable client of 3
> years, that is asking for independent training and instruction on Drupal
> development.  This friend has a few basic technical skills, and dabbles in
> side projects.  We're using Drupal for several projects at said friend's
> job.  I've heard the analogy that "A plumber wouldn't teach you how to fix
> the pipes", and I'm looking for a nice way to say that to my friend.  Has
> anyone else had to deal with this situation?  How did it turn out?
>
> Honestly I have no interest in training anyone to independently do the work
> that puts food on my table.  I've thought about just charging 3x my normal
> rate and milking it.  Is that wrong?
>
> --
>  Chris Miller
>  Trailhead Interactive