[consulting] Professionalism

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:09:03 UTC 2009

I work with someone on a Drupal 6 site and he hired a fancy NYC
company (that charges well over $100 / hour) to do some more work on
the site. The client asked me to write up a certain job and include
some time estimates. Part of it is a custom node template, based on a
PSD. The site template remains the same--this node template is just to
customize the content section. OK, it may involve a *bit* of PHP for
special fields, but it's still just a node template.

I estimated 3 hours and the NYers 33 hours. They estimate over $3300
to make one node template!

I don't understand how they are able to have enough business and a
good enough reputation to be charging high prices if they don't know
what they're doing. Because they don't--33 hours for a node template
is silly I think. The other programmer we use could do it in 3 hours I
think (and he's less than $100). He's just busy...

PS: Thank you for listening to my rant. I feel better now. :)