[consulting] Professionalism

Michael Goldsmith ixlr8 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 24 14:28:48 UTC 2009

Coming from the NYC area, I know most of the Drupal shops around here.  Now
I don't know which firm was contracted, but I can venture to guess, and if
I'm right on which firm it was, I wouldn't be too surprised by that quote,
coming from them.

Nancy's right.  In a lot of cases with larger companies, nothing is done by
a single person.  You're not hiring a consultant, you're hiring a company,
and every person on the team assigned to your project has billable hours.
For creating a node template, do they need a team of 4 people?  Probably
not, but if they can get away with billing you hours for 4 people, why
wouldn't they?

I worked at a company a few years ago that contracted with a firm to develop
a module.  We would have weekly status update calls, where they would put 10
of their employees on a conference call with us.  And they would bill for
every person for that hour.  That was a $1000 hour, once a week.  At the
end, we got slapped with a 6 figure bill for a module that didn't even work.
My point is, is that it's not so uncommon for a company to try to get away
with taking advantage of clients if they can.  After all, you don't need to
contract with them, if you don't like it.  But since your regular developer
is too busy, they've kind of got you over a hump.

Working from PSD's is, in my opinion, the easiest way to theme.  It
basically gives you exactly what the client wants the node to look like.  I
prefer to have a clear view of what the client wants things to look like.
It takes the guess work out of theming.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,

Michael Goldsmith
(732) 619-6865 - mobile
ixlr8 at comcast.net - email
http://www.platypustheory.com - website