[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Sat Aug 7 20:53:01 UTC 2010

Hi!

   This is a mish-mash of all kinds of thoughts I've had reading this thread.  The few recent posts have led me to contribute, despite, not having a fully formed an opinion for or against yet, because...

   Before delving into Drupal I was a Theatrical Technician for 7 years.  I do think this analogy applies.  Technical Theatre, much like many websites is almost entirely contract based work. By that I mean, that by and large the majority of the work consists of companies or individuals that have a product (cabaret or website?) that they do not have the expertise to produce themselves.  Consequently, they need to engage a third party to help make their vision a reality, but in both cases there are 2 phases, initial production, and maintenance thereafter.

   This in itself is a quandary to the hiring party.  In theatre, it has turned into an almost completely 'who you know' system.  7 years, and I *never* got a job from my resume.  I fact, I went so far as to turn my resume into a references list, where I listed the show, the venue, and a contact person, that was essentially name dropping.  We've all had similar situations in web development?  How does someone who is completely unqualified in the expertise they need going to decide who to hire?  Generally, references are the best bet, and barring that you look at the product they created (see the credits list in any program for theatre).  More on this in a moment.

   Contrary to what people seem to think, MOST of downtown NYC theatre is made by people that have nothing to do with IATSE because they have, alternately out-priced themselves as a union, failed to offer enough incentive to join, or were to restrictive upon joining.

   My issues with IATSE that I also see as being potential pitfalls for a web development union:

     Cost: When I was in that industry, it was $2400 initiation dues to get in.  This was to take the test, and may have changed since (this was before USA merged with IATSE).

     Specialization: I was a sound designer/stage manager/electrician/technical director and have the credit list to back up all of those, but as far as IATSE was concerned I had to pay a dues for each one if I wanted to conduct business in it, because I member (at that time) could only have on major and one minor specialization allowed. How many people out there are just developers, just themers, graphic designers who know how to design for Drupal, etc?

     Seniority:  This is huge to me.  I worked as a $25/hr carpenter along side an IATSE $500/day carpenter.  He had more seniority than I, despite the fact that my production was twice his.  If I work harder, and better, I think that should be accounted for at the end of the day.  Particularly where technology is concerned where frequently staying on top of cutting edge techniques is equal if not More important than having done it since there were Apple IIe's.

     Quality Control: IATSE has tests.  I knew people personally who failed the test and still 'passed' because there father/brother-in-law/cousin was in the IATSE.  I point this out, only in that A) there has been talk of certification, and B) I see no way for a union to maintain credibility while endorsing crappy devs, and no other way to ensure good development without some form of QA, if you will.  This I could see some major benefit in,  to my point above regarding the hiring and reference process.

     If it isn't obvious by now, IATSE at the time wasn't worth my dues, for these reasons and several more.  However, these things I have pointed out are things any potential guild or union will need to consider.

     Finally,
       "Especially, if you could control the pool of experts."

   What do you mean by this?  This sentence set off about a dozen red flags in my mind...

   Sorry there isn't a 'point' to this post, just wanted to inform some of the discussion based on personal experience with a similar union.

   Cheers,
     Sam