[consulting] [OT ?] A good ISP for a 200.000+ page views site.

Eric Tucker eric at semperex.com
Wed Jan 6 19:21:44 UTC 2010

I have a substantial existing relationship with Steadfast Networks www.steadfast.net where we do most of the hosting for a major site. Steadfast is in Chicago though so if you want something closer to Italy that might be an issue, but otherwise there's nice hardware and good, generally low-latency connectivity due to the excellent network-wise location of their data center. Prompt, very competent 24/7 support staff. Pricing is reasonable.

If you're worried about database load you might try using an Intel SSD drive which we found gives us about as much performance as we were getting out of one of our 10 drive SATA RAID10 arrays.

We run Drupal with everything on the same switch and use separate boxes for database vs. web server plus Squid in front to cache images and some other things. You might also try using APC PHP accelerator as it seems pretty effective and definitely run InnoDB with MySQL. We also go under the covers to make Drupal cache objects/sections of pages at a higher level of granularity than it might do ordinarily.

I'd be happy to provide a bit of further advice if you need performance tuning, and I can point you to refer you to somebody at Steadfast if you want to drop me an off-list email.

Eric

--
Eric Tucker
Semperex, LLC