[consulting] Billing Increments

David Hazel dave at hazelconsulting.com
Sun Jan 10 23:03:56 UTC 2010

I started with iBiz when I got to 10+ clients (not concurrent), I switched
over to *Freshbooks.com*
<http://www.freshbooks.com/?ref=ac36ec82119660-1>(referral link) about
a year ago. Highly recommend them. You can access from
anywhere, there is a widget for the mac, and your clients can login and
their invoices, time bill etc.

-dave

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Holly Ferree <hferree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found this thread really interesting and it brings up some other
> points
> I've been debating this month...
>
> I also turn on timer, do all work for client, turn off timer and then send
> invoice to client. I will normally round to the nearest (positive) 5 minute
> increment.
>
> ---
>
> So questions:
> What is the best time tracking and/or invoicing software to use?
>
> Do most use just time tracking? (I'm on a MAC) If so what is it and what is
> the cost of the program
>
> How do you send your invoices?
>
> (I've finally got a wopping 3 clients now all with different billing rates
> and decided to go with some organizational programs) I'm doing a trial
> version of ibiz (time tracker and with a click of a button will create an
> invoice that you can save as a pdf and/or email to a client...and it also
> has a nice idle time notice if you walked away and forgot to turn off the
> timer, has a menu bar timer and a dashboard widget timer, and some other
> helpful features) and I really enjoy it.
>
> Is $40 worth having a program that all I have to do is enter the
> information
> for the timer in once per job task and it does the rest?
>
> Thanks,
> Holly
>

> On 1/10/10 7:13 AM, "Fred Jones" <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had a discussion with the author of Hamster [0], the time tracking
> > tool I use about time increments. His tool tracks by minutes, rounding
> > to the nearest minute when it does monthly totals. I know that some
> > web dev shops, however, have a minimum increment of 15, 30 or even 60
> > minutes. I am wondering what other people do.
> >
> > I, for better or worse (probably worse), end up having a lot of very
> > small time increments as I answer an email here, make a small fix to a
> > site there, add a page for a different client etc. I have always just
> > billed what the Hamster says, but I am wondering now if I should make
> > a minimal increment. I definitely lose a bit of time switching
> > projects. Sometimes it's really just a second or two but other times
> > it's a lot more than that. I was thinking to make a minimum of 15 min.
> > per day. Then if I do 2 or 3 little tasks for a client, each taking
> > only 2 minutes, I would bill them for 15 min. for that day. We can
> > code a script to do this calculation automatically based on Hamster's
> > SQLite file.
> >
> > Interesting to hear what people have to say on this subject of time and
> > billing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fred
> >
> > [0] http://projecthamster.wordpress.com/
>
> Holly Ferree, Graphic Designer, BFA
> 813.786.0852
> hferree at gmail.com
> http://www.designbyholly.com/

Email is not a secure form of communication!

Drupal Consultant
253.686.0296
http://www.hazelconsulting.com/
dave at hazelconsulting.com