[consulting] question about selling subsites

David Notik dave at digital202.com
Fri Mar 5 16:30:23 UTC 2010

My approach is a Service & Support plan (paid quarterly) which covers up to
X number of hours and/or X incidents per month.  Additional is billable per
hour.  Ours start at about $250/month.  If you streamline a feature set and
automate things well enough you can justify free initial customization,
though many clients want more than the kit that's easily offered to them so
you charge a flat rate upfront too.  It's a hybrid approach.

Of course, when you've got a really compelling set of features (see Drupal
Gardens and Buzzr) and an automated machine to attract many hundreds and
thousands of customers, you simply offer a great product with great
documentation and community support and you can then justify lesser income
per customer because each customer's costing you less.

I'd venture you start with the former, make your way to the latter.

--D
--
D202 - People-Centric Websites
646.536.7502 ||  Office