[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Steve Kessler skessler at denverdataman.com
Sun Mar 28 15:10:33 UTC 2010

In Colorado I am not sure you *must* register at least a trade name but my
understanding is that is the best way to start. If you have assets like a
car, house, etc. then looking at an LLC is probably a good option or the
entity your area.

The big key from my non-legal understanding is the contract. My workman's
comp company is making me verify independent contractor status of my
contractors and there big thing is making sure we have a contract that
states the federal IRS rules for being a sub-contractor. I started with just
a template I found online when I started but my attorney has made some
changes as we have grown.

Hope this helps.

-Steve

Steve Kessler
Denver DataMan
303-587-4428
Sign up for the Denver DataMan Free eNewslettter