[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Ryan Cross drupal at ryancross.com
Sun Mar 28 22:43:20 UTC 2010

If you are US based, the best place to start is http://sba.gov/ (Each
state also usually has a similar site, i.e
http://www.business.gov/states/florida/)

If not, there are usually similar websites from your governement as well.
(UK) http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/
(AU) http://www.business.gov.au/

For more comprehensive advice about the mechanics of running a
business, just start reading. Tons of books available, and plenty of
websites. A good place to start is FreelanceSwitch.com.

After all this, please make an honest assessment about whether running
your own business is really what you want to do. Many people get
started for the wrong reasons.

Good luck,
Ryan