[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Dave Hall me at davehall.com.au
Mon Mar 29 01:34:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

>From experience, have a contract drafted by a lawyer can save you a lot
of hassle.  It should contain things like, who retains ownership of the
work (should be you), what happens when they don't pay (penalty
interest), what is the legal jurisdiction for disputers (where you live)
and what expenses the client is expected to cover (long distance, travel
accommodation, meals etc).

On several occasions I have bashed clients over the head with my
contract.  Having a relationship with a solicitor also makes it easy for
getting letters of demand issued by the lawyer too.

My contracts have 2 parts the generic contract and the project specific
schedule which contains information about the project, rates etc.  The
schedule is referred to by the contract, so I can recycle the same
contract for all of my clients.

If the client wants variations to my standard contract they can pay my
legal bills so I get the advice I need before drafting/signing it.

When it comes to company structure, tax and book keeping advice, invest
in a good accountant.  The money you pay them is a usually a deductible
expense, and can help you structure your affairs in such a way that you
you end up in front even after pay for their services.

Cheers

Dave