[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Eric Tucker eric at semperex.com
Mon Mar 29 06:23:50 UTC 2010

----- "Eric Tucker" <eric at semperex.com> wrote:

> ----- "Sami Khan" <sami at etopian.net> wrote:
> > From: "Sami Khan" <sami at etopian.net>

> > 2) Businesses have the ability to fire on demand, especially
> > contractors. Businesses also get to make all the decisions and so on. I
> > agree with the general reasonable part, but I think that there are often
> > too many things out of the control of the contractor. Therefore, I do
> > believe in sound contracts, businesses are always open to renegotiate
> > them if they don't like certain terms, but I will start off with a
> > decent agreement that holds me liable for nothing.
>
> Don't get me wrong, so do I. We're not really on that different of pages at all. I just see a singular reliance on the contract as limiting. I tend to be of the opinion that if I can demonstrate why something is reasonable then it actually will get questioned less (and perhaps justifiably so). Thinking back to the olden days when I read the book, "Getting Past No" about being on the same side of the table. :-) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Past_NO)

Clarifying: I start a bit closer to the middle. But yeah, otherwise ... it's gotta be sound, and it's gotta have some ability to flex ... with boundaries.

Also to be clear, I know the contract is not the only thing we're all considering. Didn't mean to suggest that ... I'm just trying to make sure the big picture is in play.