[consulting] Setting Up as an Independent Contractor

Cameron Eagans cweagans at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:03:22 UTC 2010

But if you do host your clients' sites, don't try to be cheap about it (i.e.
don't stick them on some cheap GoDaddy hosting account...that's just cruel).
Go with a Mercury instance on AWS or a VPS with Linode or Slicehost.

Build the first year into your bill, and bill them for subsequent years
later. This way, you have a reason to stay in touch with them. Usually, when
I call up a client when their hosting due date is coming up, they'll say
something along the lines of "Hey, do you by any chance know how to do X and
X and X? I know a guy who's looking for somebody that can do that, and I'd
be glad to recommend you..."

Re contracts: Always always always have one. It doesn't even need to be
lawyer written. All you need to do is write out your conditions and terms
and have both parties sign it for it to be legally binding. The trouble
you'll get into is when you have ambiguity in your agreement ("Well, this
happened, so is this clause still in effect?").

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

-Cameron Eagans