[consulting] "Political" question about single login

Audrius Naslenas audrius.naslenas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 14:10:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

Planing to build small network(5-10) of D6 sites, with different content and
purpose, some on single code base, some on different. Even thinking to add 1
forum site based on phpbb/ipboard, but that is not priority.

What is the best way to make single login solution with:
1. Single and preferably only one login/register place on "central" site of
network
2. Different usernames (display names) and configurable user profile data on
each site

For now, I am not in a rush to sell soul to Facebook Connect, (well even
this module does not have 100% needed features) what are the other viable
choices?
Some other LDAP based solution, not even Drupal itself? CAS? Single Sign On
module? OpenID + supporting modules?

It has to have some of the flexibility.

Please, share your practical experience, as after the sites are online it
will be much harder to migrate from one solution to other...
Maybe you will convince me, that idea to have single login is bad itself, or
will recomend to sell myself to Facebook/Google/etc for their already
existing userbase...

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.