[consulting] CiviCRM / Drupal integration expert

Bob Schmitt bobschmitt at xinsys.net
Fri May 7 03:16:11 UTC 2010

Huh...Interesting thread. (I just got space to catch up on my lists.)

CRM for nonprofits is a difficult space. You need to have lots of domain expertise to figure out an appropriate fit for the particular client, then you need to really understand the particular toolset you've chosen/recommended to be able to actually make it useful to the client. You may be a great programmer/UI guy but if you haven't worked with the range of nonprofits/NGOs that are going to use your product and understand their organizational imperatives and internal political dynamics, you will fail.

In general, one-off custom apps (i.e. "lets reinvent this in cck/views") are the WORST way to go because you've just made a decision to dump your bias/ignorance on the next consultant to work with your custom app and have committed your client to pay for it. Most folks worth their fees in this space have been around for a few years and have seen the results of their mistakes. Just because it looks simple doesn't mean it is, and it's a trap for newbies.

CiviCRM works in a space where there is no tool that fits every organization. You don't like how it implements certain features, there's always room for more coding expertise on the CiviCRM team. There are plenty of ways to plug into the effort.

I've implemented CiviCRM in a couple small nonprofits (some paying gigs, others not) and learned very quickly not to do major customizations because of how quickly certain core structures change. Most smaller groups are pretty flexible in how they do things as long as you meet some basic requirements. Training can substitute for UI coolness. I've seen a lot of mistakes made by coders who really don't understand the institutional and programmatic imperatives that drives nonprofit CRM upgrades/conversions. They code based on what they hear from one client, only to realize that a different strategic approach (training, workflow management improvments, working with senior staff / board members on staff/resource expectations) would pay far better dividends than ajax/jquery UI whizbangery.

I think CiviCRM stacks up pretty well against the industry leaders (Raisers Edge, DonorPerfect, eTapestry, Salesforce) and blows them all away in terms of customizability and openness.

Sure it complicated, but NGO constituency management is complicated. What works and is sufficient for a small homeless shelter or watershed protection group does not work for the Sierra Club or Planned Parenthood. There's a huge difference between groups that can't afford a full-time membership manager/fundraising director, and groups that have fundraising departments (plus separate wings for their membership development and advocacy staff). You cannot expect a simple app to serve them all any more than you can expect a single Ferrari to serve as adequate transport for a class of 4th graders to the local science museum.

CiviCRM has pretty deep roots in nonprofit/NGO CRM experience and workflows. But it still only attempts to meet the common core of shared need by nonprofit membership/development/advocacy directors.

Attempting to reinvent that wheel when you can plug into an existing project seems like folly to me (unless CRM is your hobby and you don't have to worry much about making a living). The CiviCRM team is open to new ideas (especially if you are willing to put some effort behind your words); iterates often and sometimes dramatically; understands nonprofit/NGO culture beyond the borders of the US (something that most other "leading" platforms do not), and is clearly willing to engage with members of the Drupal community as long as it's simply not talk.

I like the Drupal way, and community, and I really admire the CiviCRM way and it's community. It seems like there should be a little more effort on finding common ground in substantive areas before you start coding yet another CRM structure from the ground up.

bob