[consulting] Keeping Web Sites Updated

George Lee georgeleejr617 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:40:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Scenario: Imagine a small non-profit working to keep its web site
updated - HTML generated by Dreamweaver, not Drupal, not too many
pages. Like a lot of groups I know they struggle with keeping it
updated. A couple options:

(1) Someone updates the pages about once a month
(2) Move to a system like Wordpress, Drupal, etc. where they can log
in and update pages themselves; have someone else maintain the
underlying machinery, themes, etc. when needed

In either case, if the group needs someone not in-house to do this --
how do they best find someone, and how do they set it up right? For
(1) for instance, could a group just Craiglist someone, offer a decent
rate (I don't know what that would be), and sign a contract? For (2),
how do they find someone?

Right now I see a lot of groups relying on volunteers or random
connects, and then they struggle getting the person to actually follow
through. I'm helping some groups fill that gap myself, but I also want
to give them advice how they can find other people in general.

Thanks.

Peace, community, justice,
- George

--