[consulting] Keeping Web Sites Updated

George Lee georgeleejr617 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:55:10 UTC 2010

Whatever is reliable, which I would guess is the latter -- but hoping
there's a good way to find paid folks less intense than full-out
full-price web developers, since it's just about maintaining web
sites.

Peace, community, justice,
- George

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Sam Cohen <sam at samcohen.com> wrote:
> George,
>
> Are you asking how these nonprofits can find volunteers or how they can find
> paid contractors?
>
> Sam
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM, George Lee <georgeleejr617 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Scenario: Imagine a small non-profit working to keep its web site
>> updated - HTML generated by Dreamweaver, not Drupal, not too many
>> pages. Like a lot of groups I know they struggle with keeping it
>> updated. A couple options:
>>
>> (1) Someone updates the pages about once a month
>> (2) Move to a system like Wordpress, Drupal, etc. where they can log
>> in and update pages themselves; have someone else maintain the
>> underlying machinery, themes, etc. when needed
>>
>> In either case, if the group needs someone not in-house to do this --
>> how do they best find someone, and how do they set it up right? For
>> (1) for instance, could a group just Craiglist someone, offer a decent
>> rate (I don't know what that would be), and sign a contract? For (2),
>> how do they find someone?
>>
>> Right now I see a lot of groups relying on volunteers or random
>> connects, and then they struggle getting the person to actually follow
>> through. I'm helping some groups fill that gap myself, but I also want
>> to give them advice how they can find other people in general.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Peace, community, justice,
>> - George
>>
>> --
>> *** http://saveyouthjobs.org ***
>> *** http://bostonworkersalliance.org ***

> http://samcohen.com

*** http://saveyouthjobs.org ***
*** http://bostonworkersalliance.org ***

*** http://saveyouthjobs.org ***
  Help stop the youth jobs crisis! 9000 youth jobs across
Massachusetts are being cut. 5500 youth who apply in Boston won't get
a job.
  Support the campaign to save youth jobs. Youth want jobs in order to
prepare for their future and decrease violence. Help keep our
communities strong and safe!

*** http://bostonworkersalliance.org ***
  Pass CORI reform now! The Massachusetts House of Representatives
will vote on CORI reform the next few weeks. Help us make sure they:
(1) eliminate the checkbox from applications, (2) reduce the waiting
periods for CORI's, and (3) remove "dismissed" and "not guilty" cases
from people's records.