[consulting] Keeping Web Sites Updated

Steve Kessler skessler at denverdataman.com
Wed May 12 12:43:05 UTC 2010

For nonprofits my firm charges a different amount for consulting and site
maintenance than we do for development. I am not a developer and we work
several small shops to get the right developers for the right projects all
of whom charge more than my nonprofit rate, that is fine.

Firms should set their rates at what the market will pay. Once they know
what the market will pay then you have to look at costs + risks + profit and
see if those numbers are in line. I have decided that for my firm I can cut
the profit margin to almost none for our nonprofit clients in order to serve
the community and bluntly happy non profits have happy boards.

To say that that it is wrong to look for two rates I think is an over
simplification. I know there is lots of talent in the Drupal community and
it deserves to be well compensated but if firms want to stratify what they
do because that works for their clients and their bottom line than that is
something they should do. Now, let me clarify we do not satisfy our pricing
for companies.

In terms of finding someone I would ask other local nonprofits. I would also
see if you have an organization like Teaming 4 Technology
(http://www.t4tcolorado.org/) like we have in Denver and see if they can
recommend someone.

Hope this adds something.

Steve Kessler