[consulting] Contracted Help (As Needed Basis)

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Fri May 28 19:32:33 UTC 2010

----- "Kevin Davison" <kevin at quevin.com> wrote:
> With 3,000 Drupalers at DrupalCon SF recently, it's only a matter of time before there are more Drupal professionals than there are now. But this also means that it may be that much harder to actually find good help.

I am sure this has been talked to death at some point, but each time I try to win business I attempt to qualify the customer first. I just don't go after EVERYTHING. For example I know if they say Freelancer they are not looking for me as a company. Freelancer usually translates to, we don't have a big budget and we don't have the concerns of working with a freelancer. Or since we have a lot of systems and development experience i have won business because of that expertise.

I am wondering if we can make it easier for the customer to "find good help."

Maybe a site like this exists already. But we could build a drupal site were our former customers rate us? We can talk about the how we differentiate ourselves among the professionals. For example I have done a lot of consulting where I create build processes for shops to generate drupal websites for there customers, etc.

Let's face it there are going to be the shops like advomatic, lullabot and development seed that are going to win business cause the are the cream of the crop. And sure there are regional super stars in Metro areas as well. But for middle of the road shops we need to use our other areas of expertise to stand out from the fold when attempting to win business.

Can we create a site similar to what Acquia did on their partner page? I know we can. But the question is should we, or do people consider it taking away their competitive advantage?

--

xforty technologies
Christian Pearce