[consulting] Need flexible Drupal hosting, but can't afford an administrator

António P. P. Almeida appa at perusio.net
Fri Oct 22 17:34:05 UTC 2010

On 22 Out 2010 13h39 WEST, jspapas at gmail.com wrote:

> I can't afford an administrator to manage my server, so I'm looking
> for some sort of managed solution, but I'd like to have some
> flexibility. I'm building custom modules for my clients, but the
> managed solutions I find out there don't accept custom modules.
>
> As far as I can see I can either:
>
> - Have an unmanaged VM, where I have full flexibility regarding its
> configuration, or
> - Get a managed Drupal stack, where I won;t have control over what I
> want installed and how I want it configured.

Not really. What's considered managed is managing the infrastructure
not the site. That's your responsibility. Managed means they setup the
OS, distro, web server, DB, &c.

> Is there something in between?

They're plenty. I use Linode and recommend them, but they only offer
unmanaged VPSes.

I advise against Dreamhost. I once tried their (overpriced) VPS and
their security practices has serious issues. What the heck do I need
TeXLive in a server (I might, but they should assume I don't first)?
And they installed a bunch of KDE libraries. Really shoddy practices
IMHO, furthermore they gave me a Debian 4.0 as default (back in June)
and 5.0 has been out for 2+ years.

--- appa