[consulting] RE : Lowball offers

Marty Landman mlandman at face2interface.com
Tue Mar 22 22:48:08 UTC 2011

At 06:19 PM 3/22/2011, Matt Chapman wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Matt Chapman <matt at ninjitsuweb.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Victor Kane <victorkane at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Erm, the idea is for wages to increase and the price of goods to
> go down in
> >> order to be able to call it progress, not for wages to go down.
> >
> > How does that work when the "goods" are a person's time and expertise?
>
>Despite the cries to silence the conversation, the above was a sincere
>question and I'm eager to hear Victor's sincere response.
>
>For those not interested in the subject, your mail client can filter
>the thread for you.
>
>All the Best,
>
>Matt Chapman
>Ninjitsu Web Development
>http://www.NinjitsuWeb.com

I'd like to chime in on this, because I have mixed feelings on the
subject and also have been thinking about it. I think it's one of
those ironies that we web developers are inevitably helping to put
ourselves out of work in the future. Maybe it'll be so far into the
future it won't even matter but still, it's the trend and I don't see
how it would or could be prevented, or why it would be a good thing
to try and stop it.

OTOH web development is special, because it's remote. I notice the
professionals who are able to still make a living are the ones that
can't be replaced remotely. My dentist for instance, auto mechanics,
pharmacists and doctors, plumbers and electricians.

IMHO it's a tough economy, unless you're a multi-millionaire. And the
trend for the non-rich has been steady decline. I think it's gotta be
tougher still for those in less developed or lower GDP countries --
or however you say it.

Marty

--
http://www.face2interface.com/