[consulting] Lowball offers

netsperience rgoya at netsperience.org
Wed Mar 23 14:55:06 UTC 2011

  John Saward,

All my interactions with Aussies have been very reasonable and human. I
volunteered to help finish a (Joomla) site for an Australian NGO
http://worldpromise.org - Why? because they asked nicely and the scope
was well defined and rather limited. They in return provided a page to
thank me (and others) who helped them.

> I for one would be very open to joining in an audit/reporting/learning
> process on this particular job.

An audit/study would be interesting and valuable, but I think the OP has
either found a resource, or he has left this discussion because of the
initial vicious attacks. For me, every project is different, with its
own challenges and successes. Last year I presented a case study at the
NYC DUG about a particularly challenging project with many obstacles
introduced by the client/team I was working with. Yes, I delivered it,
and on time, but it was a struggle. I also have a short list of
disasters and rip off artists, but that happens in any business, not
just web dev.

"Scope Creep" is often the culprit, with the client requesting more and
more features then refusing to pay for them. Scope Creep happens most
often with an individual client who is not tech-savvy, less often when
working for a structured and experienced company. Sometimes it is the
client's plan, to pitch a project as an easy hit-and-run, then once the
consultant is invested, see how much can be squeezed and wrung out of
the original budget. I, for one, have no problem walking away from such
a client, or selling an unpaid app I have created to another customer.

We Drupal consultants are fortunate that demand for our services
outstrips the supply of qualified people (for now, at least). Therefore
we can often find work at a wage we desire. The rates may skew depending
on the location and expectations of the consultant; I remain convinced
that "offshore" consultants who choose to work at less than top rates do
so as a business model and an entry into the marketplace. Also because
they can afford to do so, an option I could not choose because I am in
the US with a higher cost of living.

Randall Goya (decibel.places)
http://netsperience.org
Drupal: http://drupal.org/user/58977