[consulting] Does "Upgrading" mean "Fixing" too?

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 24 02:08:28 UTC 2011

I am currently working on a contract to upgrade a site from D5 hopefully to D7
if it gets ready soon enough. However, I am beginning to wonder if I am doing
the right thing for the client.

There are a bunch of things that are just not "right." To start with the custom
theme had to have been designed by a novice. Now, I do not call myself a themer
and prefer not to have to touch it, but when upgrading Drupal, you have to. This
"theme" had the sidebars hard-coded, as was most of the front page. The menus
were done with both Nice Menus and Simple Menus when it works quite well as a
standard menu in a real theme that has Superfish.

They had type-specific node templates AND Contemplate. With a bit of CCK
settings changes, I am pretty sure I can eliminate all but maybe one of the
type-specific templates and Contemplate stuff. That one I am still considering
only because there are some links that they occasionally want to change the
title text on and I'm not sure that having them go into the CCK field settings
is the best way to handle it. But at least that's a whole lot better than what
they have now (calling the original developer).

The bottom line is that I am fixing as much, if not more than, I am upgrading. I
have been upfront with the customer, but I am worried that maybe I should have
just concentrated on only upgrading. They will be left with a much more
maintainable site and shouldn't have to call me as much as they call the
original contactor now. And when D7 is ready, that part of the upgrade should be
a piece of cake.

What do you think?

Nancy