[consulting] Purpose?

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Mon Mar 28 12:11:23 UTC 2011

----- "John" <spam at onlineconcepts.com> wrote:
> Randall Goya wrote:
> > I think we may have scared the client away, or perhaps he found a
> > consultant. There is no way to know.
>
> Sam wrote:
> > I also think it's not the place for non-consultants to join and
> > post jobs or anything else for that matter. But that's just my
> > opinion and a lot of folks disagree with me about that.
>
> I am the potential client who posted the lowball offer, and I've been following
> the discussion. I'm a developer myself, but my day job does not allow me time
> for a side project of this scope right now. (See yesterday's digest for more.)
>
> Here's why I posted to this list. Quoting from "Hiring a Drupal site developer"
> at http://drupal.org/node/51169#advertise-the-job
>
> "The Drupal Consulting List is another place to post a call for applicants." If
> you wish to move potential clients away from these conversations, it's probably
> a good idea to strike that line. Sounds like people are ok with a little
> ambiguity on the list though.

John that is insightful. Thanks. To be fair you weren't doing anything wrong based on that article. I don't have any issue with people posting jobs here. But my one condition is that the persons intent should be to hire a consultant. What doest that mean? Well I will leave that to the person who is doing the job posting to interpret their needs. I considered myself a consultant before I worked with Drupal, that is why I joined the list. Sometimes in entails rolling up my sleeves and developing, and sometimes it is merely taking a look at someones situation and making recommendations. We are also not exclusively Drupal, we do a lot of systems integration and Drupal is one of the tools in the shed to help use accomplish high level goals for our customers.

Can someone update that webpage to let future people realize that unless you are posting a job to hire a "consultant" (what ever that means to you), you probably won't get good results. I personally watch the Jobs listing and the Forum. That is where I go to find most of my Drupal work.

> -John

xforty technologies
Christian Pearce
888-231-9331 x1119