[consulting] Taking payments sans snail mail

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Fri Sep 30 23:13:50 UTC 2011

Hi.

Even if you have credit card facilities you are going to be paying
fees to process them. And this is generally about the same as PayPal.
Volume does reduce this cost but for consulting and small shops like
us our volume is not high enough to reduce it by a significant amount.

Generally I get people to direct credit my account and where that is
not possible which for me is for overseas clients which I them get
them to us PayPal.

Also in determining your rates make sure they take onto account credit
card/PayPal processing fees.

Also I discourage cheques from clients by adding a $160 processing fee
since it takes an hour or so to go to the bank and deposit the 1
cheque that I get per year.

Gordon.

Sent from my iPhone