[consulting] Gouging Stupid Clients

Doug Johnson doug at asknice.com
Thu Feb 23 16:39:05 UTC 2012

You have to live with yourself AND the long term effects of your actions.
It is not your job to make as little as possible, BUT you have to decide
what is the right amount to charge for your services.
If your hourly rate is adequate (meaning it also includes the time you
need for sales, proposals, vacation, etc) then charging for what you
actually put into a job or task is correct.  If, however, your rate is
only good if you are constantly, fully employed, then you have to make
up for that someplace...either in a higher rate or padded hours.
I had a sales policy when I was consulting full time that basically said
I charged X per hour for the time that I did work for my clients and 1/2
for travel time.  And I let them know that if I was talking to them,
they should assume I was billing.  I didn't always, but it was in the
sales policy.
And I made sure that my rate covered the extra time that I wasn't
working and could still make a living, and in my case, pay my
programmers and office staff and all the extras that come with running a
business that are not illustrated by the hours you spend on a specific
project.
You need to think it through and then come up with what makes sense for you.
But if you intentionally "gouge" your client, it will cause two bad effects.
First, eventually the client will find someone who won't gouge them and
move on.
Secondly, the fact that you see it as gouging will, ultimately, affect
your relationship with the client and yourself.
I think you should get paid a mix of what you are worth and what the
market will bear.  You can't overcharge the market, because it will kick
back at you, eventually.  You can't overcharge for what you are truly
worth...same result.
If, however, you provide value to your client that is as good or better
than they can get elsewhere at the same price and you deal with them
honestly and fairly, you will have a good and long career in a sometimes
fun and always fascinating field.
"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to
be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Doug Johnson
Solution Visionary