[consulting] Failed Outsourcing Job

Abhi Goel agoel at axelerant.com
Thu Feb 28 13:51:51 UTC 2013

Hey Fred, I have done my share of outsourcing through sites like freelancer in a past life and in most cases, you get what you pay for. The problem is that you have a large population of programmers that think they understand Drupal because they can install it and perform basic CSS, but don't really understand module development, theme layer.

Ethically, I would pay him for the value you think the work is worth. If worthless, then nothing. I think that's fair. Now you could argue that there is you lost time for opportunity, but that is up to you to value.

I actually now run a decent sized offshore development shop specializing in migrations, maintenance, and site builds. The Drupal skillset is not nearly as developed as here in the US in many offshore countries. And there are tasks/jobs that you should and definitely should not outsource in my opinion.

And I can't tell you how many clients we've had after a failed experience on sites liked elance, freelancer, odesk, etc.

Live and learn!

Abhi

Sent from my iPhone