[consulting] Unsigned Contract Breach Question

Ryan Cross drupal at ryancross.com
Thu Mar 14 14:33:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Sam Cohen <sam at samcohen.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Ryan Cross <drupal at ryancross.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is a different angle:
>>
>> they went another way. it sucks. there is plenty of work out there. learn
>> from the experience and spend your time lining up a new gig.
>>

> It's likely that's what I will do, but I did turn down another job in the
> three weeks -- because I thought I was booked with this one -- I had also
> arranged with other consultants to work on this project -- and they too may
> have turned down other work because of it.
>
> My question is really whether or not they have any legal obligation to pay
> at least a part of the contract.
>
>  I doubt I'd get a lawyer over this, but I am certainly considering
> sending them an invoice.

Yes, its probably reasonable to ask for some partial compensation and
express the reasons why. however, they probably aren't obligated to and
considering the bureaucracy you've already faced, its probably unlikely
you'll get anything. You do need to make sure you protect yourself in the
future, because it sounds like you could end up having financial/legal
obligations to other (sub)contractors with limited recourse to compel the
client if you're not careful.