[drupal-devel] [feature] Comment module does not support extension of its forms

escoles drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sat Apr 2 13:59:39 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.5.1
 Component:    comment.module
 Category:     feature requests

I'm not clear on how to apply this patch. The name of the file is
"comment.form", not "comment.module"; is that simply an error? Or
should I be able to find a resource somewhere with the filename
"comment.form"?
Related question: If I operate on the assumption that the filename
should be "comment.module" and try to run patch, I get the error
message "Only garbage was found in the patch input." Does anybody know
what that would mean?

escoles

Previous comments:

December 22, 2004 - 18:20 : tangent

The comment module currently does not support 3rd party modules being
able to add form elements or form validation. This is important for the
captcha module to be able to add an extra form item.

December 22, 2004 - 18:22 : tangent

Here is a patch.

December 23, 2004 - 06:54 : Anonymous

Haven't tested it, but it seems identical to the changes I'd made for my
experiments.
+1 for this. This is important to have if people want captchas on
comments.
Other modules that I think can benefit by this: Ratings (rate the post
along with commenting on it).

December 23, 2004 - 07:15 : moshe weitzman

this is a good direction for hook_comment(). for consistency with
nodeapi, i propose splitting into 'form pre' and 'form post' operations
and also adding a 'view' operation.

December 23, 2004 - 09:37 : tangent

I agree with the commentapi thing (however it is named or done) for
several reasons. In the short term though, in order to use a captcha
module immediately, it wouldn't hurt to update the existing code to
support the purpose since I suspect the aforementioned redesign will
not happen overnight.

December 24, 2004 - 01:48 : TDobes

There's a similar discussion going on in another issue [1]... one of
these should be marked as a duplicate.
[1] http://drupal.org/node/13539

December 24, 2004 - 06:51 : stefan nagtegaal

Just not to forget:
If such a patch like this makes it into core it would be nice to strip
down the comment.module untill it is a real api.
Removing the comment moderation part into an cmoderation.module would
be a good thingtm. This way we make drupal more flexible and light
weight...

January 22, 2005 - 04:41 : stefan nagtegaal

Duplicate of http://drupal.org/node/13539..