[drupal-devel] Re: [contributions(DRUPAL-4-5):sheldon]

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Mon Apr 4 13:36:08 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 00:39, Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> Once again, I apologize, but in my defense, the interface to CVL is
> pretty damn confusing. I'd like to find a simple tutorial so I can
> learn how to just use CVS directly from my terminal command line. Can
> someone point me to one?

For what it's worth, I don't care for the visual CVS tools in KDE (a Linux
desktop) either. Nothing against the code itself, I just find it less clear
than the direct command-line interface to CVS.

For learning CVS, try the book "Open Source Development with CVS" by Karl
Fogel. It is published by CoriolisOpen Press, and part of the book is available
under GPL for free download. The hardcopy edition (which IMO is worth having
as a desk reference...I use mine often) is ISBN 1-57610-490-7 (paperback,
circa 300 pages). Coriolis is at http://www.coriolis.com (or you can order
from Borders, B&N, Amazon, etc.).

I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to the FAQ and Drupal Contrib Guide,
but rather as an additional resource after you've read those online docs, to
help understand *why* the steps in the instructions work the way they do. CVS
is a useful skill set in its own right, worth adding to your CV. :-)

Scott