[drupal-devel] Re: Help?

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Wed Apr 6 14:21:09 UTC 2005

Jim Riggs wrote:

> * The Drupal packaging script (that automatically creates the .tar.gz
> of every project) runs every 6 (or 12?) hours.  It crawls the entire
> contributions repository.  For every project with files in HEAD, it
> creates a tarball that is labeled as the "cvs" version (foo-
> cvs.tar.gz).  For every project that has a Drupal branch (i.e.
> DRUPAL-4-x), it creates a tarball for each version  (foo-4.5.0.tar.gz).
> My understanding is that /all/ projects are  packaged every time, so the
> tarball always contains the latest  files;  HOWEVER, the project page
> displays the date the version was  first encountered as the "latest
> release" date.  So if I created a  branch on January 1 and committed new
> files yesterday, the date will  still show Jan 1, but the tarball will
> include my changes from  yesterday.  I don't need to do any branching or
> tagging again.  I  only need to branch once.

Thanks for the complete description.  It helped clarify a couple things for
me.  If it is not precisely correct, hopefully someone will provide corrections.

One small correction I know about:  it appears, at least emperically, that the
packaging script only looks at some small subset of valid Drupa branches.
That is, it appears to be building packages only for HEAD, DRUPAL-4-5 and
DRUPAL-4-6 right now.

I branched the ezmlm module for DRUPAL-4-4 only just recently (Allie and I
updated it to 4.5 and 4.6, but it had been updated but NOT branched for 4.4 by
someone else, so before committing our changes, I branched it for 4.4).  But
the 4.4 package has never been built.

--
Chris Johnson