[drupal-devel] Taxonomy Similar: Very Early First Draft

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Thu Apr 7 19:32:35 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 15:07, Morbus Iff wrote:
>   * add tags (keep your original checked, check new one).

Hi, Morbus!

First off, let me say "great design work" on the UI. It's blindingly obvious
how it works, and I think even novices will find it intuitive.

One small suggestion, though. The particular line quoted above scares me very
much. I think that novice users who agree "yes, I should switch over to the
suggested tag" will instinctively check that but will forget to *uncheck* the
existing tag they hand-entered.

May I suggest radio buttons (choose one only) instead of checkboxes for this
selection process? This would have the side-effect of also preventing the user
from choosing more than one of the suggested similar tags, which IMO is a
*benefit*. If the point of the similar tags feature is to rationalize tags,
then you really *don't* want a person choosing "Governor Joe Schmoe", "Joe
Schmoe", *and* "Mr. Joe Schmoe" anyway, do you?

Nice work, though! If this pans out, I think it will very much broaden the
use-cases where free-tag taxonomy is useful.

My commendations on all of your work in this area. The versatility of Drupal's
existing controlled taxonomy is one of Drupal's very best architectural
features, in my opinion. What you are doing is to seamlessly extend the
range of things that taxonomy can do, without breaking anything that's
already there. Kudos.

Scott