[drupal-devel] Re: Alternative caching for high traffic websites

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Mon Apr 11 20:42:13 UTC 2005

I'm not a fan of the naming of this patch, sorry for bring it up only now.

To me, "loose caching" sounds like the system where we wipe the cache
often, while "strict caching" would be where we keep the cache for as
long as possible and just disable for a few users. I guess the current
(opposite) naming comes from the fact that "strict" caching ensures you
always see up-to-date pages, while "loose" caching doesn't guarantee
that. But there's too much ambiguity IMO.

I propse the following naming instead:
- Sparse caching: where the cache is wiped often (currently called
"strict" ?)
- Aggressive caching: where the cache is kept as long as possible
(currently called "loose" ?).

Sparse correctly conveys that less caching will be done and less hits
will result. Aggressive suggests greedy caching at a trade-off of having
slightly outdated pages.

I can make a patch for this if you agree...

Steven Wittens