[drupal-devel] Okay, I think I borked my CVS...what do I do now?

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Tue Apr 12 04:24:14 UTC 2005

Syscrusher wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2005 21:45, Chris Johnson wrote:

>>You might be able to fix this by forcibly deleting the tags (cvs tag -d
>>DRUPAL-4-6) and then rebranching/tagging the files.
>

> I tried this, but CVS gives the following messages:
>
> (from inside the "hof" directory...)
>
> $ cvs tag -d DRUPAL-4-6
> cvs tag: warning: directory CVS specified in argument
> cvs tag: but CVS uses CVS for its own purposes; skipping CVS directory
> cvs tag: Untagging .
> cvs tag: Not removing branch tag `DRUPAL-4-6' from `/cvs/drupal-contrib/contributions/modules/hof/CHANGELOG.txt,v'.
> cvs tag: Not removing branch tag `DRUPAL-4-6' from `/cvs/drupal-contrib/contributions/modules/hof/INSTALL.txt,v'.
> cvs tag: Not removing branch tag `DRUPAL-4-6' from `/cvs/drupal-contrib/contributions/modules/hof/README.txt,v'.
> cvs tag: Not removing branch tag `DRUPAL-4-6' from `/cvs/drupal-contrib/contributions/modules/hof/TODO.txt,v'.
> cvs tag: Not removing branch tag `DRUPAL-4-6' from `/cvs/drupal-contrib/contributions/modules/hof/hof.module,v'.

Uh, yeah.  I did not double check on the "cvs tag -d" and how it behaves with
branches before posting.  Normally, it doesn't allow you to remove branch
tags.  That can be forced using the -B option, but the amount of "warning"
text in the documentation leads me to think that maybe you should wait for
someone with full access to the repository.  Of course, you could try it
anyway, since you probably can't screw up your module's files any worse than
they are.  :-)

When you removed "the files" you really only removed revisions.  The files
were still there.  CVS is sort of like write-only memory. :-)   Once a file
goes into it, there's no getting rid of it except to actually remove it at the
filesystem level from the repository.

--
Chris Johnson