[drupal-devel] [feature] No obvious way to tell which release a site is running

Chris Johnson drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Apr 13 18:03:57 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    other
 Category:     feature requests

Yes, I'd like to add some panel to admin that would show the admin which
version of the software he was running, as well as which version of the
database (update number) he was running.  There might be a few other
bits that could be added to such a display that would make life so much
easier for the harried admin trying to manage many sites and projects.

I'm willing to code it.  Just need to get a little buy-in and agreement
on features from those who decide what goes in core.

Chris Johnson

Previous comments:

April 13, 2005 - 10:31 : Chris Johnson

There's no easy way for a site administrator to tell which version of
Drupal software his site is running.  This is particularly a problem
when an administrator manages multiple sites at multiple hosts.  The
problem becomes even more exacerbated when the same admin only has
limited time to update the software on sites, resulting in confusion as
to just what version is running where.

While there are a lot of technical solutions to this problem, some of
which I'd like to implement, this patch is the simplest and least
invasive.  It simply adds the CVS release tag name to each file which
can take such a tag.  An admin can thus look in any file and see which
release it is.

This patch is for the core files.

A similar one will be added to a separate issue for contrib files.

April 13, 2005 - 10:40 : mathias

This make a lot sense. +1

Let's also output the release tag name somewhere in the Drupal admin
section. Maybe on admin/settings?