[drupal-devel] Proposal: change "fixed" status to mean "ready to commit"

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at gworks.ca
Thu Apr 14 18:19:14 UTC 2005

A patch I proposed nine weeks ago to improve project the project issue
review process went nowhere.

Issue: http://www.drupal.org/node/17052
Patch:
http://drupal.org/files/issues/admin_configurable_status_options.patch

But (not to be deterred, since I still believe barriers to community
participation in the development process are the most pressing issues in
Drupal development) I have another, much more modest suggestion, that I
think could help move things along without (gasp) changing code.

The problem: there is no way for qualified Drupal developers to push
patches up the queue, or in other words to designate a patch as meeting
acceptance criteria.  Patches sit at "patch" status indefinitely,
waiting until one of the three CVS committers personally reviews and
accepts (or denies) them, setting the status then to "fixed" (or "won't
fix"), which in many cases never happens.

My proposal: that we change "fixed" to mean "ready to commit" or "meets
acceptance criteria (i.e., works as promised and is a worthwhile change
fitting with Drupal aims and principles)".  That way, qualified
developers can designate a patch as ready to apply.  If it is applied,
the CVS committer would set the status to "closed".

This change would be consistent with e.g., bugzilla on mozilla, where
"fixed" is set before a change is applied, and preceeds final review and
application.

A full solution?  No.  A valuable start, and much better than doing
nothing?  I think, yes.

--------
Nedjo Rogers
Learning Technologies Developer