[drupal-devel] Database analysis of CivicSpace/Drupal

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sat Apr 16 03:00:30 UTC 2005

Kieran Lal wrote:
> There are currently 107 database tables in the latest release of
> CivicSpace. I believe there are 55 in Drupal core.  One of the most
> important things you can do in improving database performance is to make
> sure you have the right indicies for your database. Currently we do not
> use foriegn keys to enforce relationships between database tables.  I
> did an analysis of the CivicSpace code base and found that there was 156
> SQL statements with at least one JOIN. We can consider these as
> application level relationships between tables. Here is a visual
> representation of those JOINs:
> http://civicspacelabs.org/home/files/schema.png I also analysed the
> indicies of the current database schema. There are 182 indicies.

As a partial step to documenting the database schema, I can create an ERD and
physical data diagram if I can get the list of table joins which imply an
application level relationship.  I would be interested in doing this for
Drupal first, and if it's easy enough, I could do CivicSpace, too.

--
Chris Johnson