[drupal-devel] [feature] PROFILE_HIDDEN visibility type for profile fields

pyromanfo drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Apr 18 03:30:53 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.5.1
 Component:    profile.module
 Category:     feature requests

Here it is for HEAD

pyromanfo

Previous comments:

November 9, 2004 - 01:47 : pyromanfo

This is a patch to allow admins to have fields that the user cannot see
and that can only be accessed by administrators, modules or themes.
This allows me to implement a custom ranks module, which allows you to
assign minimum post count requirements to selections in a profile
field, as long as it's hidden.  Allowing users to change this field
would defeat the purpose of having a field that is modified when your
post count changes.  I figured this might be useful to other module
developers, allowing them to store data in profile fields that the user
can't modify.

November 9, 2004 - 04:55 : menesis

Profile fields are defined by admin and are not guaranteed to exist for
your module to use.

You should put that field in your own database table. If you want a
field in user's account page where admin can put a value for modules to
use, and not show it to users, use _user hook and check
user_access('administer users') to determine whether to show the field.

The patch would be useful for such cases as 'notes about user'. Or you
could implement 'ranking by admins hand' without writing a line of code
- create a 'selection list' field /rank/ with values /1 2 3/, make it
hidden, and go to profile/rank/3 to see all users with rank 3. But
that's inconvenient (to use).

November 9, 2004 - 04:56 : menesis

sorry

November 10, 2004 - 14:46 : Anonymous

This is pyromanfo, I can't seem to login.

"Profile fields are defined by admin and are not guaranteed to exist
for your module to use.

"
Of course not, my module allows the administrator to select what field
to use, if not field is seelcted the module does nothing.  In the
install file I simply need to tell the site administrator that they
need a hidden selection field with the custom ranks entered in.  That's
not misusing profile.module at all, it's merely allowing a module to set
profile data on the admin's behalf.  That's the point of the
PROFILE_HIDDEN visibility type, so that there can be fields that can be
set by the admin or programmatically and displayed by the theme and
theres no chance of user manipulation.  It's still profile data, it's
just not set by the user.  I don't see how it's a misuse of
profile.module.  Besides, I think this is a really handy thing for
module developers, if you're writing info about users you can just
stick them in a custom profile field.  Not only does this keep from
requiring another DB but it gives the administrator contol over the
data with an already existing GUI.  No need to reinvent the wheel for
what is essentially the same purpose, to attach arbitrary data to each
user in an administrator defined manner.

December 5, 2004 - 21:14 : pyromanfo

Okay it seems I forgot to attach the patch, it also works with 4.5.1

December 5, 2004 - 21:29 : Boris Mann

+1

We use mapping to profile fields in the FOAF module [1]. Adding a
"hidden" flag will allow other user-related info to be stored in the
profile table, which seems like a good idea.

Note: my +1 is for the concept, I haven't looked at the code.
[1] http://drupal.org/project/foaf

December 5, 2004 - 21:37 : svemir

This is almost exactly what I need for a project of mine. I need a bunch
of user-profile-style fields which are read-only for users themselves. I
can use existing user-profile functionalities to manage these fields,
and the only thing missing was preventing users from modifying them. I
do not really need to completely hide these fields fom users, so I
might come up with additional patch to "PROFILE_READ_ONLY" in addition
to PROFILE_HIDDEN - unless the whole idea is rejected by the
maintainers.

December 15, 2004 - 01:29 : dansuade

yeah...add my +1 as well. I'm trying to implement monitering the total
kB(space) on nodes submitted/used per user and be able to auto limit
the user when reaches size limit but I want to also have the power to
go into user profile and set it back a little so user can post again
whenever i want to. This hidden + or readonly seems like could do the
trick.
-Dan.

January 29, 2005 - 17:50 : pyromanfo

READ ONLY would be fine for what I'd be using too, if anybody wants to
do that instead of hidden.  Really it makes more since than HIDDEN,
hiding it was just easier.

January 29, 2005 - 17:58 : pyromanfo

Here's a patch for 4.5.2 as well

April 11, 2005 - 15:17 : moshe weitzman

+1 from me too ... this is possible today using hook_user() but it
requires a bunch of silly code. this patch would make this easy.

please reroll this for HEAD and set to 'patch'

April 11, 2005 - 17:09 : pyromanfo

Ah, I forgot about this patch, I'll need to update it for 4.6.0.  I'll
do that tonight.

Thanks for the positive feedback, when I introduced it nobody seemed
too keen on the idea.

April 13, 2005 - 19:26 : yelvington

After reading through this it sounds like it would solve the issue I
raised here:
 http://drupal.org/node/19926 [2]. Correct?

[2] http://drupal.org/node/19926

April 13, 2005 - 20:58 : Morbus Iff

+1 for me. This would be very useful for some things i've got planned.