[drupal-devel] Let's accept more interim solutions

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:49:15 UTC 2005

I add my voice to Nedjo and Moshe.

I don't want to use labels like conservative and purists, but I have
seen too many ideas shot down because they add options to the site
admin interface.

For example, we removed the "Remember me" option from the login screen
of Drupal, and forced all users to take whatever value that the site
chose to put in settings.php. Now there are people who are asking for
this feature back again.

Another example is an option to disable the printer friendly link from
book pages. While this is not an ideal solution, a followup generic
proposal was rejected (with some good arguments against it), but no
alternative was put forward nor discussed. And hence the main issue
(site admin and themers cannot hide which links show for nodes).

We have to be careful and not be accepting of every idea proposed,
otherwise Drupal will lose its clean and modular nature, and become
another piece of spaghetti code. But we should also be open minded a
bit more than we are now.

----