[drupal-devel] Path system scaleability

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 19 18:41:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> We would :
> 1) add a url_alias column to the node table
> 2) modify node_load to use the url_alias column, if set, otherwise
> default to node/view/$node->nid, and set the $node->link variable.
> 3) change all l('node/view/ . $node->nid) to l($node->link);
>
> Then pathauto can just implement the nodeapi hook to set the url_alias
> to whatever it wants, and the url_alias table will not
> grow unruly.

I don't like that approach. It makes aliases for nodes a special case and
does not cater for user profile aliases. I have an alternative idea: Treat
the url_aliases table like we treat the variables table. Cache it in the
cache table. (this is more or less the same as Moshe suggested.)

Cheers,
	Gerhard